Eleven people are being held on suspicion of murder after a teenager was stabbed to death on London’s busiest shopping street. The 18-year-old victim, named locally as Seydou Diarrassouba, was killed near the Foot Locker store on Oxford Street at 13:45 GMT on Monday.
A separate non-fatal stabbing took place at the street’s junction with Regent Street, several hours later.
The street has re-opened, but there is still a small cordon outside the shop.
Scotland Yard confirmed a Taser stun gun was shown by an officer controlling the crowd following the killing, near the junction with Stratford Place.
Officers are questioning a 16-year-old along with three people aged 17, another five who are aged 19 and two more, both 22.
Less than five hours later, near Oxford Circus, a man aged 21 was stabbed in the thigh.
Earlier, police said three people had been arrested in connection with the second attack but have now confirmed no-one had been detained.
Police said it was too early to confirm whether or not the two incidents were connected.
However, Insp Bruce Middlemiss, the duty officer for police in Westminster, said: “They are a similar sort of circumstances, youths, possibly from the same south London area.”
The first stabbing happened at the height of what is traditionally the busiest shopping day on Oxford Street.
A post-mortem examination of the victim is due to take place later and his next-of-kin have been informed, but his identity has not been officially confirmed.
A man, who was at school with Mr Diarrassouba, said: “I lived in the same block as him and we went to the same high school. We’d go down to play football together.
“When I’d see him in the street, he’d give me a cheeky grin and a nod.”
Det Ch Insp Mark Dunne said there appeared to have been two groups of young people “opposing each other” prior to the fatal stabbing.
“Fighting took place inside the shop and outside,” he said.
“A number of weapons have been recovered from that scene. Whether I have got the murder weapon I don’t know.”
He said there were many potential witnesses because the area was so busy, and he was keen to obtain any video footage which they had filmed.
“There were certainly people in the store, and outside the store, who had their phones recording matters,” said Mr Dunne.
“We would be particularly interested in those coming forward.”
The area, close to Bond Street Tube, was closed between Duke Street and New Bond Street and shops within the cordon were forced to shut.
A worker at one retailer, who did not want to give her name, said: “We stopped trading.
“We closed down the store and we had to stay in, because it wasn’t safe.”
The second stabbing took place near to the junction with Regent Street at 18:20 GMT.
The 21-year-old victim is in a stable condition and his injury is not thought to be life-threatening.
Jace Tyrell, from the New West End Company, which represents shops in Oxford Street and Bond Street, said there had been “shock” among retailers over the stabbings.
“This is an extremely rare event to have happened on Oxford Street, and I think we’re still a bit stunned by what happened,” he said.
He said police officers had been “very reassuring” and Oxford Street was “open for business” again.
Article Ref : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16336368